Mold is a type of fungus that grows in damp conditions. Whether the damp conditions are because of the humid weather, leaking roofs and windows, or improper ventilation, you are bound to encounter it in your home one time or the other.
This mold can have disastrous effects on your health including allergic reactions, rashes, breathing problems, irritation in eyes, and others. If left untreated, it can have severe repercussions for your health.
Therefore, removing this mold from your home should be your top priority. Taking care of it would require the process of removing it as the first step and then taking care of the humid conditions to prevent any new mold from growing.
Types of Mold
When talking about molds, there are several kinds which are described below:
The black mold is usually found outdoors but can be indoors as well. It is the class of Alternaria mold that can increase the risk of asthma.
Pink old is usually found in the bathrooms around the shower and bathtub edges. It is a type of a water-bourne bacteria called Serratia Marcescens. It is also harmful for your health and can cause breathing issues, meningitis, urinary tract infections, and gastrointestinal issues.
The green mold belongs to the Cladosporium genus and is usually found on walls, insulation, and damp carpets. It is shown to cause eye, skin, and sinus infections.
Brown Or Grey Mold
This type of mold belongs to the Aspergillus molds. It is generally not a harmful substance for health but it can cause breathing issues for already sick people with a weakened immune system.
How To Remove Mold
The process of mold removal involves the use of different substances which are easily available. Most of them are already present in our homes. To clean the mold, you can use either of the following options:
- By using a detergent, you can easily clean off an area affected by mold. Fill a bucket with water and detergent. Dip a sponge in this mixture and wipe off the mold. Then use a damp sponge to clean off the detergent and dry the area.
- You can also use bleach to clean off mold. This will also ensure that any discoloration on the walls or floors are also cleaned off. Make a mixture of 1 part bleach with 3 parts of water. Clean the mold using this mixture and then dry off the area completely.
- You can also use a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution to clean off the mold. Just spray the solution on the mold, let it soak for a few minutes, and then wipe it off.
- For certain delicate areas, you cannot use bleach or hydrogen peroxide solution. Carpets, clothes, or furnishings cannot be cleaned using bleach as it will damage the materials. For such areas, use 2 parts vinegar with 3 parts of water. Let the clothes or furnishings soak in the mixture for a few minutes. Then wash them off with warm water. The clothes and furnishing should then be placed in direct sunlight for a few hours to let them dry completely. This will also help in killing of any germs or bacteria that might have been left.
- You can also use baking soda to get rid of mold. Add 1/4th tablespoon baking soda in half a litre of water to make a cleaning solution. Spray the area with this solution and wipe off after some time. Then again spray the area with this solution and leave it like that. The baking soda helps in absorbing moisture and prevents new mold growth.
- Tea tree oil can also be used to get rid of mold as it has antifungal properties. To use this essential oil, add about 8-10 of its drops in a cup of bottle. Shake the mixture and apply it on the affected areas. After a couple of minutes, wipe off the surface to reveal the perfectly cleaned area. This oil also helps in preventing new mold growth.
- You can also use the different sprays and solutions available in the market to clean mold. Use them according to their usage instructions.
- Using 1 cup of borax to 1 gallon of water also helps in mold removal. Simply use this solution to wipe off the mold and apply an extra layer to prevent it from coming for a few more days.
All the above mentioned tips help in removing the mold. However, unless the cause behind the mold is taken care of, the mold will grow back again after some time. For this purpose, you need to do something to prevent mold from growing back or may need to engage a professional mold removal service.
How To Prevent Mold
There are certain steps which you can do to ensure that the mold does not come back. These are listed below:
- The first thing you can do is to identify the cause of humidity in your house. Check for any leaks in the pipes, cracks in walls, leaking roof, or plumbing issues which might be creating an environment of moisture for the mold to grow on. Once identified, try to repair the leakage to create a dry environment inside your home.
- If the cause of moisture in the home is a humid climate, you should invest in a dehumidifier. Dehumidifiers can extract a huge amount of moisture from the air resulting in a dry environment. This can greatly help in preventing mold from growing.
- Some air conditioners can also dehumidify air, so using that option can also help in mold prevention.
- For bathrooms, take extra care to not let water or moisture build up in any area. This is especially important for nooks, corners, and edges which cannot easily be dried and hence make a good home for mold.
- When taking a bath, keep the windows open if possible. This will prevent moisture from building up in every corner of the bathroom and may help in keeping the mold off. Also after a bath, you should try to dry off the complete floor and walls if possible. Leaving the windows open and the exhaust fan running after a bath will also help in drying the bathroom.
- Ensure that there is proper ventilation in each and every room of the house. A good ventilation will help in keeping the area dry. Install exhaust fans and keep windows open to allow fresh air to circulate inside.
- Use the mold prevention products available in the market. They can be used in the areas that are more prone to molds such as the bathroom and kitchen. Instead of the market products, you can also use products available in your home which can help prevent mold growth. These include bleach, vinegar, baking soda, tea tree oil, and borax.
- Whenever you see a mold starting, immediately clean it off and use any of the preventive products so that it won’t spread further.
These are some of the ways in which you can remove mold and prevent it from growing back again.
The main point to remember is that the actual cause of mold growth has to be addressed to ensure that there will be no new mold growth.
Otherwise, you can clean the mold as many times as you want and it will keep growing back.