When you think about the concept of your home sweet home, you imagine a beautiful house, clean, everything in place, and definitely no foul smells or odors.
However, there are many things that might contribute towards unpleasant odors in your home ranging from pet odors to stinky clothes or carpet odors.
In this article, we will describe some of the unpleasant odors that you may come across in your home and easy, home remedies that you can do to get rid of them.
Pet Odor Removal
Everyone loves their pets but they can leave a foul odor behind which needs to be taken care of. There are various odor removers available in the market.
However, you can also use home remedies to get rid of the odors. They work just as well as any other product available in the market. These home remedies are listed below:
- The first thing you can do is to regularly clean the pet’s litter box. After cleaning, add some baking soda or coffee beans to the box to prevent stinky odors.
- Giving your pet regular baths can also help in eliminating bad odors.
- For foul pet smells coming from your floor, you can use a mixture of water and white vinegar. Prepare the mixture, dip a washcloth in it, and wipe off the floors with it. This will help in fighting off the bad smell.
- Ensure there is proper ventilation inside your home so that pet odors can be neutralized.
- Keeping a bowl of vinegar out in the open will also help to remove pet odors from the air inside the house.
- For pet urine smell, you can make a mixture of 4 parts of hydrogen peroxide with 1 part of baking soda. Also, add one part of liquid soap. Mix up the solution and spray it on all the surfaces. If possible, let them dry in direct sunlight to completely get rid of the foul smell.
Stinky Clothes Odor Removal
Some clothes such as gym clothes get extremely sweaty each day and it might not be possible to wash them daily. To remove odors from such clothes, there are a few options you can use:
- After a session of the gym, take the sweaty clothes and hang them outside in the sunlight if possible. Even if it is not a sunny day, just hanging them in the fresh air will help in dissipating some of the unpleasant odors.
- The next step could be to use unflavored vodka. Just sprinkle it all over the clothes with your hands or using a spray bottle. The vodka will absorb the foul smell and take it all away once it evaporates from the clothes. Also, it helps in killing germs and bacteria, which makes them germ-free to be used again.
Carpet Odor Removal
Carpets tend to get smelly as time passes. Washing a carpet is a tedious task which means you are not able to wash it very frequently. In humid climates, carpets can easily develop unpleasant odors which need to be taken care of.
Below we have listed a few ways in which you can remove the bad smell from your carpets:
- The easiest option could be to buy a carpet deodorizer which is easily available in the market. But they can be a bit expensive, so you can even choose to make your own at home.
- You can create your own carpet deodorizer by mixing baking soda with other materials to make different fragrances. Baking soda has the properties of absorbing bad smell. Just sprinkle baking soda powder on the carpet to kill of the bad odor.
- Mix baking soda with crushed flowers to make a floral odor carpet deodorizer.
- You can also mix a few drops of your favourite essential oil with baking soda to ward off the unpleasant smell of carpets.
- You can also add ground coffee beans with baking soda to create a pleasant smell.
- Cinnamon and cloves can be ground and added to the baking soda to make another variety of pleasant odor.
Using these various options, you can create your own carpet deodorizer with your own choice of pleasant odor. Thus, you will be able to kill the unpleasant smell of the carpet and replace it with a good odor of your choice which will constantly come from the carpet.
Refrigerator Odor Removal
A refrigerator is often prone to various smells getting accumulated inside. Since you cannot even leave it open to provide an airflow, all the unpleasant odors get trapped inside. This is especially true in the case of strong smelling fruits like durians, mangoes, guavas, etc.
These smells then enter all the other food making them taste different. But, thankfully, getting rid of this type of odor from the refrigerator is a very easy task. You would just need a box of baking soda. Open it and keep it in the fridge. The baking soda will absorb all the strong odors and continue to do so until you remove it from the refrigerator. This makes it a very convenient and affordable solution.
Dustbins Odor Removal
Although dustbins help to keep the rest of the house clean, they usually have a really bad odor themselves. There are certain things you can do to make that odor go away.
- The first thing is to daily wash the dustbins to help minimize the unpleasant odors.
- Even with regular washing, bad odors from fruit and vegetable peels can get seeped inside the dustbins. To remove that odor, you can sprinkle a generous amount of baking soda at the base of the bin. When it is filled with trash, you can sprinkle more baking soda on it to keep new bad odors from coming.
- Cat litter can also be used to remove bad odor from bins. Just add some of it at the base of the bin and it will help in killing off the bad odor.
- You can also use 1/4th cup of bleach in 2 gallons of water to prepare a solution. Wash the bin with this solution to not only clean the bin but remove bad odors as well. This solution will also help in killing germs that are responsible for the bad smell.
- Dryer sheets can also be used to remove bad odor from the bins. Simply put the dryer sheet inside the bin and it will help in absorbing the bad smell to quite an extent.
New Paint Or New Furniture Polish Odor Removal
When you get your walls painted or get new furniture with a strong polish or paint smell, it can be quite bothersome for some people. To remove such kind of smell from your home, you can use pandan leaves. Just get some leaves and tie them together in a bunch. Then place the bunch in the room or near the furniture. After some time, the strong smell would have minimized.
These are some of the ways through which you can remove bad odors and smells from your home. All of them require simple products that you can easily find lying in your home. They help in killing germs and fighting off the bad odor leaving you with the room smelling clean and fresh!
Should you face odors that are difficult to remove, you can check out our odor removal services. We provide specialized expertise in removing tough odors as well as other restoration services in Singapore.
[…] Tips For Odor Removal From Your Home […]
[…] Tips For Odor Removal From Your Home […]